How to replace sugar with maple syrup in your favourite recipes
Sugar can be replaced by the same amount of maple syrup in any recipe. However, for each cup (250 ml) of sugar that is replaced, the amount of liquid (milk, water or juice) should be reduced by about ¼ cup (60 ml).
To substitute this quantity of sugar by maple syrup, cut this amount of liquid from your recipe:
- for 1/2 cup (125 ml) of sugar, remove 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of liquid
- for 3/4 cup (175 ml) of sugar, remove 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of liquid
- for 1 cup (250 ml) of sugar, remove 1/4 cup (60 ml) of liquid
- for 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) of sugar, remove 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (90 ml) of liquid
- for 2 cups (500 ml) of sugar, remove 1/2 cup (125 ml) of liquid
Other sweeteners, in the form of liquids, can be replaced by the same amount of maple syrup.
Another helpful hint: since syrup has the tendency to caramelize more than sugar, reduce oven temperature by 25˚ F (15˚C) and check results 5 to 10 minutes before cooking is done.Source : Québec Federation of Maple Producers